Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The One with the Nutcracker


This past weekend was a very busy one for me. On Friday, I babysat my niece and nephew so their parents could go to a holiday party. We all ate chicken nuggets from McDonald's, and then they made me watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas THREE times. I hate that movie! I didn't like it as a child, and I don't like it now, but you try to argue with 2 and 3 year olds. At 9 when I told them it was time to go night night, my nephew got very upset with me, but who was the first one to fall asleep. You guessed it, TRISTAN!




On Saturday, I spent the day running errands and Christmas shopping, then I fixed dinner and got dressed for the Nutcracker. This year I took my friend Debs and her daughter, Ellie, to see Ballet Austin's performance of the Nutcracker. I love the ballet, and I had only seen this performance on PBS, so I was very excited. I had bought a new outfit for the occasion. We were all dressed up and looked very pretty, if I do say so myself. The performance was wonderful! My favorite part was the second act at the Sugar Plum Fairy's court. Ellie did very well sitting through the performance. Afterwards we drove down 37th St. to look at the Christmas lights. This is an Austin tradition. This one neighborhood goes all out stringing lights everywhere, and there's lots of artsy pieces and crazy things like an old stove covered in Christmas lights. Keep Austin weird and all that.

Sunday, I woke up early and began preparing brunch for my family. We were exchanging presents with my sister since we won't be seeing them at Christmas. I made Cranberry Orange muffins from scratch for the first time, and they were delicious! That afternoon, my SIL and I went shopping while the kids and Etienne napped. I spent enitrely too much money at Marshall's, mostly on Christmas bags. And I've already wrapped all my presents! Oh well, I can use them next year. I also bought a really cute pair of shoes that I love even though I can't feel my toes after about 30 minutes of wearing them. SIL bought me a green cashmere hoodie for Christmas which I'm very excited about. I had asked for something cashmere, and a green hoodie was exactly what I had envisioned. I can't believe we found one. Later that evening I made fudge for my neighbors. I used this recipe from Rachel Ray that I had seen on Oprah. It was so easy and very yummy! TTFN!
Lish

6 comments:

Bearette said...

What beautiful pictures (ballet and kids both)! Makes me want to see the Nutcracker again. I haven't seen it since I was a kid in Boston.

utenzi said...

It's been nearly 20 years since the last time I went to see a performance of The Nutcracker in person. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Trish. It's a very pretty ballet.

CT said...

I hate the ballet, but I love Boobs!!!!

Lish said...

Have you ever even been to the ballet, Mav?

Sarah Retzloff said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarah Retzloff said...

Hey! Thanks for the visit! I umm..wasn't to sure about what to think of the ffmb thing either...nice thought...kinda strange in reality. I just mentioned to Mr. David that I was sad because I scared off my readers with a practical joke...and boom...I am on the friendless list...which was...humbling to say the least. However, everyone seems pretty nice so I can't complain really..can I?